September 23, 2011

Sixty pounds? Big deal!

This is not one of those OMG they had to take the wall of my bedroom out and use a crane kind of story. And thank goodness. I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for such people; because there, quite easily, could have gone I.

The sixty pounds I lost in the last six months of 2003 represents the largest single loss of my life.

But if you added up the pounds I have continually lost over my adult lifespan; it would be quite the arresting visual metaphor. Some guesstimates I just did with a handy spreadsheet program pegged it at a literally staggering 830 pounds.

So if you add the weight, 220 pounds, I was at when I embarked on the only successful weight loss plan I've ever undertaken, I could have reached 1050 pounds.

Which is sadly not a record. The highest weight is currently held by the deceased Carol Yager (1960 - 1994) of Flint, MI; 5 ft 7 in, (my own height, to give me a chill) estimated to have weighed more than 1600 lbs at her peak.

This is why I'm impressed by a sixty pound loss that I have kept off for years. Because when I started I was a typical teenager wanting to lose ten pounds. It was the yo-yo dieting that kept making the pendulum swing; and the typical "gain it all back with friends" syndrome resulted in my looking at middle age weighing over 200 pounds.

It wasn't that I couldn't lose the weight. If it became an Olympic sport I coulda been a contender.

I've binged/starved, used OTC appetite suppressants, calorie restriction, extreme calorie restriction, meal replacement, vegetarian, raw food, low fat/high exercise. Each one lasted for varying periods of time.

Each one turned out so obnoxious I wouldn't try it again, so dangerous I was afraid to try it again, or would refuse to work when I tried it again.

And I gained it all back with extras.

This time, I took it off and I'm keeping it off. And, this is a first... it's darn near effortless. It's now, quite simply, the Way I Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment